Get to know our National Key Accounts Partner, Chris Macpherson
Tell us a bit about your journey in the insurance industry to where you are at CBN today…
I started out as a broker with one of CBN’s Corporate Authorised Representatives – Able Insurance Services in Darwin. I relocated to NSW in 2017 to take up a Regional Business Partner role with CBN. In 2022 I assumed the role of National Key Accounts Partner.
How does CBN successfully empower authorised brokers to be their own boss?
CBN gives authorised brokers the freedom to build their own business, under their own branding, but with our support as Australia’s largest AR network. We let them focus on their strength – insurance broking – while our team takes care of the all important back office, delivering market support, tech platforms as well as compliance and marketing.
How does CBN differ from other authorised networks?
While a large network, we are immensely passionate about focusing on the individual, and catering to each brokers’ needs where possible. We maintain a community feel wherever we can, and endeavor to ensure all brokers are treated with equal importance whether large or small.
What are three top tips you can give to ARs about running their own business?
- Focus on putting your clients best interests first – the rest will follow if this is your primary focus.
- Engage with CBN as much as you can, whether it is your Regional Business Partner, Compliance, Accounts or our National Advisor Team – we are here to partner with you, and empower you to achieve your business goals.
- Never stop learning – our industry is ever changing and evolving, whether you have been in insurance for 5 minutes or 50 years there is always something new to learn.
What are three interesting facts about yourself?
- I am a Sports Commentator, Podcaster and Ground Announcer in my spare time!
- I have a Doberman named Frankie who loves to pop into Zoom & Teams meetings.
- I referee Rugby League and have officiated in two international matches.
Share one of your favourite success stories
A brokerage joined us from a competing network where they were having trouble growing their book. Although the broker had strong broking skills, they were getting bogged down trying to negotiate with insurers to get relationships off the ground, as well as focusing on a number of back office roles that their previous network didn’t provide support for, including invoicing systems.
After joining CBN they have now consistently grown their business by 30% or more for the last two years. Integral to this success has been having the time to create a prospecting, servicing & sales plan for their business which they believe was the key to them thriving through COVID, alongside the fact they no longer feel they “are on their own.”