Get to know your Regional Business Partner, Kate Fisher
Tell us a bit about your journey in the insurance industry to where you are at CBN today…
Like many people, I fell into the insurance industry. Following university, I started my career at an insurance call centre and worked my way up through various broking, business development and underwriting roles. My most recent experience was as a portfolio manager for a large, underwriting agency where I gained a deep experience in the operation and structure of the Lloyd’s market. I’ve always believed that you should invest in yourself and in addition to my degree and insurance diploma, I’ve obtained an Award in London Market insurance along the way. I joined CBN in January 2021 and am very excited about getting back into the world of broking!
How does CBN successfully empower authorised brokers to be their own boss?
CBN provides an excellent framework for supporting our brokers – we have our ‘Hub’, a great repository of information ranging from marketing, compliance, insurance markets and business planning. Our Broker Partnering Team are there to provide additional qualified insurance broking resources whenever a network member needs some extra support. We also have a dedicated, Legal and Compliance Team, and our National Advisor Team providing IT & systems support.
How does CBN differ from other authorised networks?
The dedicated resources CBN provides to support brokers is a core differentiator from other networks. For example, we have Regional Business Partners located throughout the country who partner to guide and support their small portfolio of brokers – our Regional Business Partners are the Helpline for all placement, claims, and insurer queries and of course, any challenges that arise. In addition, our Broker Partnering Team provide a broking relief service when our network brokers need additional assistance with as a result of workload, illness or even a holiday!
What are three top tips you can give to ARs about running their own business?
- Use your CBN Regional Business Partners as a resource – we are here to support you and help your grow!
- Harness The HUB – it’s an excellent resource for brokers for all things, compliance, insurance markets, marketing and business planning. Don’t forget our regular webinars and Professional Development Community Days.
- Have a continuous-improvement mindset – invest in yourself through ongoing education and training. Stay abreast of all legal developments, invest in technology and most importantly, your own staff!
Three interesting facts about yourself?
- I’m scared of frogs
- My favourite movie – Hidden Figures (2016) detailing the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the US Space program
- My favourite novel – Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Identity – I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve read this book!