Get to know our Regional Business Partner, Kate Fisher
Tell us a bit about your journey in the insurance industry to where you are at CBN today?
Like most people, I fell into the industry. Following university, I started my career at an insurance call centre and worked my way up through various broking, business development and underwriting roles. My most recent experience was as a portfolio manager for a large, underwriting agency where I gained a deep experience in the operation and structure of the Lloyd’s market. I’ve always believed that you should invest in yourself and in addition to my degree and insurance diploma, I’ve obtained an Award in London Market insurance along the way.
I joined CBN in January 2021 and am very excited about getting back into the world of broking!
How does CBN successfully empower authorised brokers to be their own boss?
CBN provides an excellent framework for supporting our brokers – we have our ‘Hub’, a great repository of information ranging from marketing, compliance, insurers and business planning. Our Broker Support Team provide broking staff / resources to our network. We also have a dedicated, Legal and Compliance Team to ensure brokers are meeting their legal obligations and our National Advisor Team providing IT & systems support. We are also looking at ways to incentivise new brokers into the network with specialised training plans and incentives, so I am very excited about this initiative too!
How does CBN differ from other authorised networks?
I think CBN differs to other networks in that it has some very dedicated resources for example, we the have Regional Business Partners located throughout the country who are tasked with servicing a small, panel of brokers – we are the Helpline for all placement, claims, insurer queries and of course, any challenges that arise.
In addition, the Broker Partnering Team provides a broking relief and services when our network brokers need some additional assistance with workload or even a holiday!
What are three top tips you can give to ARs about running their own business?
- Use CBN/Regional Business Partners as a resource – we are here to support you and help your grow!
- Use The HUB – it’s an excellent resource for brokers for all things, compliance, insures, marketing and business planning, watch our webinars an attend our Community Days.
- Have a continuous-improvement mindset – invest in yourself through continuous education, training, keep abreast of all legal developments, invest in technology and most importantly, your staff!
Three interesting facts about yourself?
- I’m a scared of frog.
- My favourite movie – Hidden Figures (2016) detailing the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the US Space program;
- My favourite novel – Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Identity – I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve read this novel.